Understanding the Bulb Syringe
When should I use the bulb syringe?
How do I use the bulb syringe?
- A bulb syringe is used to clean your baby's nose and mouth of formula or mucus. You may use it when your baby spits up, has a stuffy nose or sneezes (this is how he clears his nose). We suggest you keep a bulb syringe close to your baby, especially during feedings.
How do I clean the bulb syringe?
- To use, first squeeze the bulb until it is collapsed. Place it in one nostril and quickly release the bulb. This will bring the formula or mucus into the bulb.
- Remove the bulb syringe from the nose and squeeze the bulb quickly into a tissue to get rid of this material. Repeat for the other nostril (and mouth, if necessary).
- You may use the bulb syringe as often as needed, making sure you thoroughly clean it after use.
- Clean the bulb syringe daily with hot soapy water and rinse in hot water. Be sure to clean the inside of the bulb by squeezing the bulb while the tip is in the soapy water. Rinse by repeating the procedure with clean hot water.