Before your baby arrives, there are many things you need to consider, but one of the most important decisions will be choosing your baby's pediatrician. To help you make the best choice for you and your baby, schedule a prenatal visit or new patient consult with one or more pediatricians.
Many pediatricians have set times for these and some charge a fee. All should be prepared to answer your questions and discuss your concerns.
Here are a few things to consider in making your selection.
- Which hospital does the doctor use?
- Does the doctor accept your insurance?
- Is the doctor's office conveniently located?
- Does the doctor offer early, late or weekend appointments?
- Does the doctor have partners in his/her practice?
- What is the charge for a routine visit?
- Discuss child care topics you feel strongly about, such as bottling feeding/breast feeding?
- How efficient is the doctor and his/her office staff?
- Consider the doctor's office design. Are there separate waiting areas for sick and well children, play areas, etc.?
- Does the doctor provide a handbook or other resource to patients' parents?