Many unnecessary accidents involving small children can be avoided each year with parents taking the time to ensure that their child is in a safe environment. How can you help ensure the safety of your child? What can you do to help keep your child healthy? Here in BabyWorld, we are going to help you with both of those questions.
- Infant Car Safety Seat
- The seat should be semi-reclined.
- Install it in the car so it is facing backwards.
- Always have your car seat in a convenient place so you can use it correctly
- Make sure the seat is installed and anchored according to manufacture's instructions.
- Make sure you have the car seat available for ride home from the hospital.
- DO NOT substitute a baby carrier for a car safety seat.
- Education and Installation Assistance Area Provider List
- Make sure the slats are less than 2 3/8 inches apart.
- There should be a snug fitting mattress.
- There should be a minimum of 26 inches from the top of rail to the mattress when the rail is raised.
- Make sure it has secure and childproof sidelocks.
- There should be no sharp edges or lead paint used on the crib.
- DO NOT leave, large, floppy toys, pillows, or loose plastic sheeting in crib.
- Slats should be no more than 2 3/8 inches apart, or small weave mesh netting.
- Make sure the hinges lock tightly with no sharp edges.
- Only use mesh playpens with sides up.
- High Chair
- Make sure the chair has a wide base for stability.
- Safety straps should not be attached to tray.
- Test to make sure that tray and other hardware locks securely.
- Chair should have a rough surfaced seat to resist slipping.
- General Precautions
- Do not leave baby on flat surface above the floor (such as on a counter) or in bathtub alone.
- Install smoke and fire detectors, fire extinguisher and rope ladders in home.
- Use flame resistant sleepwear and clothing.
- Poison proof your home.
- To avoid burns from hot ashes, don't smoke when caring for your baby.
- Never leave a child under school age alone in a room with a baby.
- Never give medications in the dark.
- Place safety plugs or electrical tape over unused sockets to avoid electrical shock.
- Install safety locks/guards on all cabinets, doors and windows below waist level.
- Keep all indoor and outdoor plants out of child's reach.
- Have bottle of Ipecac Syrup available.