The Diabetes Education Center is dedicated to helping persons with diabetes lead a healthy lifestyle. Through classes and/or individual instruction, persons with diabetes are taught self-management skills for controlling diabetes. Our instructors include nursing and nutritional professionals who are Certified Diabetes Educators. The Diabetes Education Center at St. Vincent’s Hospital Birmingham is recognized by the American Diabetes Association.
- An individual assessment to tailor diabetes education
- Individual nutritional assessment and meal plan by a registered dietitian
- Individual instruction for insulin administration and home blood glucose monitoring if needed
- Comprehensive diabetes education content includes:
Medications and Traveling
Nutrition- The Basics
Exercise and Psychosocial Health
Home Blood Glucose Monitoring
Promoting Long Term Health/Positive Self Care Practices
- Advanced Class at 2-4 weeks after class
Pattern Management of Blood Glucoses
- Follow-up education to reinforce diabetes education and monitor progress by visit, phone or mail.
- Foot screening
- HbA1C testing
- Ongoing Diabetes Support Group Meetings at no cost
- Gestational Diabetes Classes
- Insulin Pump Training
A physician referral is required. Physicians will be kept informed of your progress and will be sent a summary of the education sessions attended.
Insurance and Fees
Most insurers pay all or a portion of the cost of diabetes education. Insurance policies vary in the amount of coverage they provide. Patients should ask insurance providers if their policy covers Diabetes Self Management Training. If your insurance does not cover diabetes self management training we can refer you to our financial counselors who can discuss your options.
The Diabetes Education Center of St. Vincent’s Birmingham is location in Building One, Suite 503 on the hospital campus. Our office hours are 8:00- 4:00 pm. For your convenience, our same staff and program are offered at the St. Vincent’s One Nineteen location and St. Vincent’s St. Clair. Please indicate which campus you prefer.
For More Information
For more information or to schedule an appointment, please call 205-939-7248 .