is an acute inpatient rehabilitation unit that has been providing quality, comprehensive care since 1987. The Center is located on 7 East at St. Vincent’s East. Our rehabilitation unit consists of 16 single rooms and fully equipped physical and occupational therapy gyms. We provide specialized care for a variety of conditions, including but not limited to, stroke, amputation, neurological disorders and orthopedic injuries. Our team of dedicated professionals can assist with your recovery, so you can return home as quickly as possible.
The highly trained rehabilitation team will work together to develop and implement a treatment plan that is personalized to your needs. Medical Director, Dr. Charles Carnel leads the multidisciplinary team of physiatrists, physical, occupational and speech therapists, nurses and case managers in providing personalized care to help restore patients to the highest level of function possible. The St. Vincent’s Rehabilitation Center also provides patient training sessions, family education and discharge planning to promote a safe transition home for our patients and families.
(physician specialist in rehabilitation medicine who is board certified by the American Board of Phsyical Medicine and Rehabilitation)
– will coordinate your transition from the acute care hospital to our Rehabilitation Center by reviewing your current medical information, ensuring you meet admission criteria and obtaining insurance approval as indicated.
– is specially trained in rehabilitation care. He/she will assist/educate you and your family in restoring optimal function while helping you adjust to your current physical ability.
– will provide you with a variety of treatment techniques to improve your mobility to include walking, strengthening, balance, muscle re-training and coordination. Instruction in wheelchair transfer techniques and orthotic/prosthetic training will be provided if needed.
– will provide treatments to improve your upper body strength and coordination. They will assist in activities of daily living which include: eating, grooming, bathing, toileting, meal preparation and advanced tasks, as indicated.
– will evaluate and diagnose speech, language, cognitive- communication and swallowing disorders. Their goal is to improve your communication, reasoning and decision making skills.
– is a nurse will assist you and your family in assessing needs you may have at discharge by coordinating services such as outpatient therapy, home health care and any other community resources needed. They also work with insurance companies, financial counselors and the rehab team to coordinate your care throughout your stay.
- is available to provide spiritual and emotional support as requested. Mass is held daily and all
denominations are welcome. In addition, Mass can be viewed on your in-room television.
– will asses and develop the appropriate diet according to your individual needs to address any health care issues you may have
For more information, and to learn if you qualify for our services, please call 838-3097.
We look forward to serving you and your family.
50 Medical Park East Drive,
Birmingham, Alabama 35235